Athletes from eight different Three Rivers Athletic Conference schools participated in the Ohio High School Division I state track and field championships that were held on June 2 and 3 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on the campus of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
In the girls competition the Notre Dame Academy squad tied for seventh place with 23 points. Findlay finished in a four-way tie for 22nd place with nine points; Oregon Clay scored 5 points to finish in a six-way tie for 41st place; and Whitmer finished in a seven-way tie for 52nd place with three points. Reynoldsburg won the meet with 56 points.
In the boys meet, Findlay had the top finish of all of the TRAC schools competing in the statewide meet with a 16th place showing earning 11.5 points. Whitmer finished in a three-way tie for 29th place with seven points and Fremont Ross scored 5 points for a nine-way tie for 39th place. Lakewood St. Edward took home the team championship trophy scoring 48 points.
Notre Dame senior Lexi Aughenbaugh ran the race of her life to capture a state championship in the 3200 Meter Run. She crossed the finished line with a personal-best time of 10:44.88 bettering her previous top run by eight seconds. Aughenbaugh will be running on the same track next season when she represents the Ohio State Buckeyes in both cross country and track.
The Lady Eagles 4 x 800 Meter Relay team of sophomore Chantalia Young and seniors Ashley Kynard, Jessika Matthews, and Lexis Williams placed second in the event with a time of 1:42.30.
Lexis Williams, who will be a sprinter on the University of Toledo women’s track and field team next year, also placed fourth in the 200 Meter Dash with a time of 25.00.
Clay junior Nicole Breeden took a fourth place finish in the discus throw event with a toss of 138-10. Kyesha Neal, a senior at Findlay and senior Allie Missler of Whitmer placed fifth and sixth respectively in the event with throws of 137-0 and 136-8. For Missler, her toss of the disk represented a personal best.
Findlay senior Kyesha Neal finished in fourth place in the girls shot put with a heave of 43-5.
In the long jump competition, senior Emily Popovitch of Clay placed 11th with a leap of 16-2.75.
The top performing TRAC athlete in the boy’s meet was Findlay junior Tyler Brown who finished third in the long jump with a leap of 22-3.50 and sixth in the high jump event clearing 6-6.
Whitmer senior Chris Wormley capped a stellar high school athletic career with a third place finish in the discus throw event (186-2) and an eighth place finish in the shot put (56-10.50). Wormley will play football for the University of Michigan in the fall.
Junior Cody Swisher of Findlay cleared 15 feet to finish in a tie for sixth place in the pole vault. Patrick Siebenaller, a senior at Whitmer, placed ninth in the event with a vault of 14-6.
St. Francis junior distance runner Kyle Lach placed 13th in the 1600 Meter Run with a time of 4:24.76.
The Little Giants of Fremont Ross sent three athletes to Columbus. Sophomore Jared Ballenger placed sixth in the discus throw event with a toss of 173-6. Junior Shanquise Mills finished in seventh place in the long jump with a leap of 21-10.50 while Jacob Berryman closed out his senior year with a 12th place finish in the 800 Meter Run with a time of 1:58.84.
Senior James O’Shea of St. John’s Jesuit cleared 6-4 in the high jump event to place 10th.
Representatives from the TRAC that competed in the state track and field championship meet include the following:
- Jean Hampton, Senior: 100 Meter Hurdles, 4 x 100 Relay
- Dewanna Williams, Senior: 4 x100 Meter Relay
- Cheyenne-Nicole Owens, Junior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Kiana McClendon, Sophomore: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Kyesha Neal, Senior: Discus Throw, Shot Put
- Tyler Brown, Junior: High Jump, Long Jump
- Cody Swisher, Junior: Pole Vault
- Jacob Berryman, Senior: 800 Meter Run
- Shanquise Mills, Junior: Long Jump
- Jared Ballenger, Junior: Discus Throw
Notre Dame Academy
- Alexandra Aughenbaugh, Senior: 3200 Meter Run
- Jessika Matthews, Senior: 4 x 200 Meter Run
- Ashley Kynard, Senior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Lexis Williams, Senior: 100 Meter Dash, 4 x 200 Relay, 200 Meter Dash
- Chantalia Young, Sophomore: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Emily Popovitch, Senior: Long Jump
- Nicole Breeden, Junior: Discus Throw
St. Francis de Sales
- Will Cameron, Senior: 4 x 800 Meter Relay
- Anthony Maraldo, Senior: 4 x 800 Meter Relay
- Kyle Lach, Junior: 4 x 800 Meter Relay, 1600 Meter Run
- Daniel Lenart, Junior, 4 x 800 Meter Relay
St. John’s Jesuit
- James O’Shea, Senior: High Jump
- Allie Missler, Senior: Discus Throw
- Patrick Siebenaller, Senior: Pole Vault
- Chris Wormley, Senior: Discus Throw, Shot Put
- Jody Webb, Senior: 100 Meter Dash, 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Alonzo Lucas, Senior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay, 200 Meter Dash
- Nick Holley, Junior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Devon Miller, Junior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay