The spotlight shined brightly on the Three Rivers Athletic Conference at the 2013 OHSAA Division I state track and field championships that were held on June 7 and 8 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on the campus of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Findlay’s Tyler Brown captured the spotlight with his first place finishes in the high jump and 400 Meter Dash and a runner-up finish in the long jump. The senior, who will continue his track and field career at Eastern Michigan University, personally scored 28 of his team’s 31 points in the boys DI state championship meet.
Brown leaped 6 feet, 10.25 inches to win the high jump event and established a new personal best and school record. He crossed the finish line in the 400 Meter in 47.08 seconds for another personal best.
In his first event of the meet , the long jump, Brown admitted that was too excited and it affected his steps causing him to foul three times but his jump of 23 feet, 1.75 inches was far enough to earn him a second place finish.
“The goal was three [first-place medals], but I still was able to do a lot better than I did last year,” Brown told Toledo Blade sports writer Don Emmons.
Findlay placed fourth overall in a tie with Westerville North with 31 points in the boys division. Whitmer finished tied for 47th place with 2.50 points. Lakewood St. Edward captured the team title with 62 points.
In the girls division, Clay was the only team from the four schools representing the Three Rivers Athletic Conference (Clay, Fremont Ross, Notre Dame Academy, and Whitmer) to score in the meet finishing in 25th place with 10 points. Solon won the team title with 47 points.
St. Francis de Sales opened the boys meet with a 14th place finish in the 4 x 800 Meter Relay. The relay team of seniors Daniel Lenart and Kyle Lach and sophomores Davis St. John and Jacob Baugh ran the race in 8:03.03. Lach also finished in 10th place in the 1600 Meter Run with a time of 4:15.95. St. John placed 12th in the 3200 Meter Run with a time of 9:36.25.
In the discus throw event senior Bryce Burnside of Findlay finished third with a throw of 175 feet, 9 inches. Junior Jared Ballenger, of Fremont Ross, placed 11th with a throw of 164-8.
Whitmer junior Chris Boykin registered a 13th place finish in the high jump clearing 6-2. Fellow teammate senior Nick Holley, completed his stellar athletic career for the Panthers, with a tie for sixth in the pole vault clearing 14-6.
In the girls DI state meet, Clay’s 25th place overall team finish was a result of the performances of three underclassmen. Freshman Haley Hess crossed the finish line of the 1600 Meter Run in 8th place with a time of 5:04.85. Her teammate, junior Erin Gyurke placed sixth in the 3200 Meter Run at 11:04.23. Senior Nicole Breeden closed out her prep career with a bronze medal for her third place finish in the discus throw with a toss of 141 feet, 1 inch.
Whitmer junior Alaya Hayes finished in 16th place in the discus throw (111-5) and ninth in the shot put (40-2). Her teammates, juniors TiTyana Gardner and Kaitlyn Barber, finished 16th in the shot put event with a heave of 36-8 and 13th in the pole vault clearing 10-6 respectively.
Representatives from the TRAC that competed in the state track and field championship meet include the following:
- James Freeman II, Senior: 100 Meter Dash, 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Aaron Taylor, Senior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Elijah Morant, Senior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Tre’Von Wade, Freshman: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Grace Winckowski, Sophomore: 100 Meter Hurdles
- Haley Hess, Freshman: 1600 Meter Run
- Erin Gyurke, Junior: 3200 Meter Run
- Nicole Breeden, Senior: Discus Throw
- Jack Nagy, Senior: 110 Meter Hurdles
- Tyler Brown, Senior: High Jump, Long Jump, 400 Meter Dash
- Bryce Burnside, Senior: Discus Throw
- Ariana Spencer, Senior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Elayna Ackerman, Freshman: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Cassie Woleslagel, Junior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Mariah Mathews, Junior: 4 x 100 Meter Relay
- Jared Ballenger, Junior: Discus Throw
Notre Dame Academy
- Chantalia Young, Junior: 100 Meter Dash, 200 Meter Dash
St. Francis de Sales
- Daniel Lenart, Senior: 4 x 800 Meter Relay
- David St. John, Sophomore: 4 x 800 Meter Relay, 3200 Meter Run
- Jacob Baugh, Sophomore: 4 x 800 Meter Relay
- Kyle Lach, Senior: 4 x 800 Meter Relay, 1600 Meter Run
St. John’s Jesuit
- Keionn Gray, Sophomore: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Shawn Howze, Junior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Samuel Edwards, Junior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Taylor Jones, Senior: 4 x 200 Meter Relay
- Alaya Hayes, Junior: Discus Throw, Shot Put
- TiTyana Gardner, Junior: Shot Put
- Kaitlyn Barber, Junior: Pole Vault
- Christopher Boykin, Junior: High Jump
- Nick Holley, Senior: Pole Vault
DI Track Finals: Findlay’s Brown a champ in 400, high jump toledoblade.com 6/9/2013
State Track: Findlay’s Brown wins 400 and high jump TheCourier.com 6/9/2013