With four runners finishing in the top ten spots, Clay ran away with the girls varsity cross country team title in the third annual Three Rivers Athletic Conference cross country championships held on October 12, 2013 at hilly and scenic Robert L. Walsh Memorial Park in Fremont, Ohio. Fremont Ross High School hosted the event which was sponsored by Crown Battery Manufacturing Company.
Clay recorded a combined team score of 27 points to capture its first TRAC team championship. Two-time defending champion Notre Dame Academy, which nipped Clay by a mere two points in last year’s conference championship meet, finished a distant second with 72 points followed by Whitmer (85 points), Central Catholic (105 points), Findlay (112 points), Fremont Ross (115 points), and St. Ursula Academy (161 points). Lima Senior did not field a team.
Clay senior Erin Gyurke crossed the finish line with a blistering time of 17:57.54 to win the race for the second consecutive year. With the victory, she was named the TRAC Runner of the Year for the second year in a row.
Gyurke’s teammates sophomore twin sisters Haley and Hannah Hess placed second and seventh respectively with times of 18:42.85 and 19:58.07. Their younger sister freshman Sydney Hess placed sixth (19:55.99) overall while freshman Caitlyn Kuecher anchored the Eagle quintet with an 11th place finish with a time of 20:15.05.
Girls Team Rankings
1. Clay (27 Points – Total Time: 1:36:49.50. Average Time: 19:21.90)
2. Notre Dame Academy (72 Points – Total Time: 1:42:00.79, Average Time: 20:24.16)
3. Whitmer (85 Points – Total Time: 1:42:44.65, Average Time: 20:32.93)
4. Central Catholic (105 Points – Total Time: 1:46:17.46, Average Time: 21:15.50)
5. Findlay (112 Points – Total Time: 1:45:16.36, Average Time: 21:03.28)
6. Fremont Ross (115 Points – Total Time: 1:45:50.47, Average Time: 21:10.10)
7. St. Ursula Academy (161 Points – Total Time: 1:50:13.67, Average Time: 22:02.74)